A prominent Indian politician is known for his political skill, Ananth Kumar is the minister in PM Modi cabinet. He is also appointed as the Minister of Chemicals and Fertilizers in the Modi government from 2014 to 2018.
He was born on 22 July 1959 in Bangalore ( Karnataka). His father, H. N. Narayan Sastry, was employed with the Indian Railways and mother Girija, was a social worker associated with the Bharatiya Jana Sangh. She served as the deputy mayor of the Hubli-Dharwad Municipal Corporation between 1985 and 1986.
The family settled in Hubli from 1979 to 1980. He completed his high school in Lamington School and a pre-university course in science PC Jabin College in Hubli. He earned a bachelor’s degree in arts from Kadasiddeshwar Arts College, affiliated to the Karnataka University, and in Laws from JSS Law college.
In 1973 he joined the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) and participated in the movement started by Jayaprakash Narayan the following year. He was jailed in for 40 days during the emergency
He was an active member of RSS’ student wing of the ABVP. He elected as the State Secretary of the ABVP, National Secretary in 1985, the State President of Bharatiya Janata Yuva Morcha in 1987. And he became National Secretary of the party in 1996.
In January 1998, He became the 1st Indian politician to handled an independent website where he launched www.dataindia.com and www.ananth.org. After that, he was re-elected into the union cabinet headed by Atal Bihari Vajpayee as the Minister for Civil Aviation and was the youngest cabinet minister in that government. He handled various ministries like Tourism, Sports & Youth Affairs, Culture, Urban Development, and Poverty Alleviation.
Kumar became the President of the Karnataka state unit of BJP in 2003 and led the state unit which became the single largest party in the Legislative Assembly and won the highest number of Lok Sabha seats in 2004 in Karnataka. In 2004, he was appointed National General Secretary of the BJP contributing to building the party in MP, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, and other states.
On 26 May 2014, Kumar was appointed Minister of Chemicals and Fertilizers in the cabinet of the current Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
Here are some social work he has done in her political career are:-
- Ananth Kumar and his wife founded a nonprofit Adamya Chetana Foundation, a charitable social service organization to work on social service activities.
- It was set up in 1998 in memory of Girija Shastry, the mother of Ananth Kumar. It supports underprivileged children with food in schools through the mid-day meals programme. About 2,00,000 meals served daily.
- He launched the initiative Green Bengaluru 1:1 to achieve one tree per human ratio, from the current seven humans per tree as against the ideal seven trees per human per research by IISc.
- EcoChetana initiative was to promote a green lifestyle in the state of Karnataka.
- As part of Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY), Ananth Kumar had adopted the Ragihalli village.
Hence he was one of the talented leaders of PM Modi Cabinet.