A.R. Rahman born on 6th January 1967 in Tamil Naidu is an Indian composer, singer-songwriter, music producer, musician, multi-instrumentalist, and philanthropist.
With a unique distinct style of music and mesmerizing people all over the world for more than a decade is something that only music maestro A R Rahman could do. It’s an inspirational story that can inspire and motivate you to reach your own goals.
The man with extraordinary musical skills also has numerous awards to his credit, including a Grammy award (for Slumdog Millionaire) and it seems to be born to become a music legend.
He is one of the most prominent and prolific film composers by Time, his works are notable for mixing Eastern classical music with electronic music sounds, world music genres, and traditional orchestral arrangements.
Almost 20 years have passed since Rahman’s first music release “Roja” and since then he became Indian maestro of music. He was awarded prestigious awards such as National Film Award, Filmfare Award, Padma Shri Award and the latest Oscar Award are the evidence of his commendable success and excellence. He is a person whose focus has always been on excellence. He has also won many global awards such as two Academy Awards, a BAFTA Award, two Grammy Awards, four National Film Awards, a Golden Globe, fifteen Filmfare Awards and thirteen Filmfare Awards South in her music career.
He trained in Carnatic music, Qawwali style of Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan, Hindustani music and Western classical under k. V. Mahadevan and Vishwanathan–Ramamoorthy in 1980’s. He has been noted to write film songs that amalgamate elements of freshness in various genres, layering instruments from differing music idioms in an improvisatory manner.
Here are the few movies with which A.R Rahman has done foreign collaboration with are:-
- Million Dollar Arm (2014)
- The Hundred -Foot Journey (2014).
- People like us (2012)
- Couple retreat 2009
- Elizabeth the Golden Age (2007)
Facts about A.R Rahman:-
- As a kid, he was seen in Doordarshan’s Wonder Balloon where he got popular for being the kid who could play 4 keyboards at once.
- He wanted to become a computer engineer.
- A Street in Markham, Ontario, Canada, has been named in his honor in November 2013.
- Apart from Slumdog Millionaire, Rahman has provided great scores for other Hollywood movies such as 127 Hours and Lord of War.
- He has won 4 national awards, 14 Filmfare awards south and15 Filmfare awards, as of 2014.the unknown fact that out of a total of 138 award nominations, he has won 117.
- Airtel’s signature tune, composed by Rahman, is the world’s most downloaded mobile music with over 150 million downloads.
- In fact, in 2009, Time magazine added him in its list of World’s Most Influential People!
- He is also the first Asian to have won 2 Oscars in the same year!
- In the Limca Book of Records 2007, Rahman holds “Indian of the Year for Contribution to Popular Music” Award.