Priyanka Chopra born on 18 July 1982 is an Indian actress, singer, film producer, philanthropist, and the winner of the Miss World 2000 pageant. She is India highest paid and most popular celebrities. Also, she has received various awards including a National Film Award and five Filmfare Awards. In 2016, the Government of India honored her with the Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian award, and Time magazine named her one of the 100 most influential people in the world.
Priyanka, who was born in Jamshedpur, has voiced concerns for child rights and, also specifically, for the girl child, for as long as one can remember.
Recalling how her parents sensitised her to the issue since her childhood itself, she said: “My mother is a gynaecologist, my father was a surgeon… so as a kid, I remember how every few weeks we used to take the ambulance and go to the villages with doctors and a few nurses when we used to stay in Bareilly in Uttar Pradesh.
The girl who hailed from a small town called Bareilly in India has managed to become a global icon today. She not only dreamt big, she also realized them! The actress made her American television debut with ABC network’s Quantico and is now all set for her Hollywood debut in movie Baywatch.
She first came into the era of fame when she was selected among the Femina Miss India Contestants to represent India in the Miss World pageant, where she was crowned ‘Miss World 2000’. It was this event that marked the end of her conventional aspirations in favor of a far more glamorous one.
Although Priyanka’s debut in the film industry began with the Tamil film Thamizan, her real break came with Anil Sharma’s The Hero in 2003 – her first step into the Bollywood jungle. Then, in 2004, she began to scratch the surface with two films, Aitraaz and Mujhse Shaadi Karogi. And then, in 2008, she received critical acclaim for her role of Meghna Mathur in Madhur Bhandarkar’s Fashion. Out of her comfort zone, Priyanka owned the role of a small-town girl getting caught in the decadence of the fashion industry. It was the first time the world saw her full potential.
From movie “Fashion”, she unleashed a series of stellar performances in movies like Dostana, 7 Khoon Maaf, Barfi, Mary Kom and Bajirao Mastani. Gearing back on the safety-seat of Bollywood, Priyanka now turned her attention across the globe. She came up with global success with her first Hollywood song album “In My City” in 2012, with William and Exotic in 2013, with Pitbull. However, her real Hollywood break came in 2015 with her lead role as Alex Parrish, an FBI agent and terror suspect, in ABC’s thriller series Quantico.
As the series gained vast viewership, Priyanka was applauded for her fearless play-out of the role and became a popular face among fans outside India. Her next nose-dive into ‘Tinsel town’ was her role as Victoria Leeds in Seth Gordon’s Baywatch, which is set to release in May 2017. This will feature her playing alongside heavy-hitters like Dwayne Johnson and Zac Efron.
“Young people should not restrict themselves to one thing. They should not think that there is one thing so I should only do that. We live at a time when anyone can do anything, be anything at any age. You shouldn’t shut down the possibilities, you need to have an open mind,” – Priyanka Chopra
Facts about how Global Icon Priyanka Chopra rule the World:-
- Priyanka Chopra was only 18 when she won the ‘Miss World pageant’ in 2000.
- She made her Bollywood debut in the year 2003 with ‘The Hero’, opposite Sunny Deol.
- From playing a seductress in Aitraaz (2004), a troubled model in Fashion (2008), autistic girl in Barfi (2012), the legendary boxer in Mary Kom (2014) to a woman loving her husband despite his infidelity in Bajirao Mastani (2015), Priyanka has invariably won hearts across the globe.
- In 2015, she began starring as Alex Parrish on the ABC drama series Quantico, becoming the first South Asian woman to star in an American network series.
- She is now officially the global face of Bollywood in a foreign land.
- Besides bagging the People’s Choice Award for breakthrough performance in Quantico to be sent out a special invite to Barack Obama’s last celebrity dinner.
- She was awarded the Padma Shri, the fourth-highest civilian award, by the Government of India in 2016.
- The actress also made headlines for her magazine covers – Maxim, In Style, Complex, Emmy, Time, etc.
- She is noted for her philanthropic work and was appointed as a UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador for Child Rights in 2010.
lessons to learn from Priyanka Chopra’s successful journey:-
- Dream big!
- Break the stereotype
- I, Me Myself
- Racing against racism.