Dr. S.k Burmam is a founder of Dabur and physician from Bengal born on 1856. Most of his patients from villages named as “Dakhtar Burmam” which originally came from “Da” from Dakhtar and “Bur” from Burmam.
In 1884, Dakhtar Burmam set up Dabur from a small house in Calcutta where he sold his natural medicines commercially. His vision was good health for all.
Dabur’s Ayurvedic Specialities Division has over 260 medicines for treating a range of ailments and body conditions, from common cold to chronic paralysis. Dabur International, a fully owned subsidiary of Dabur India.
“Sundesh” is a non-profit organisation started by Dr. Burmam, aims to carry out welfare activities in the spheres of health care, education and other socio-economic activities. Dabur drives its corporate social responsibility (CSR) initiatives through Sundesh.
Dabur was ranked 109th among India’s most trusted brands according to the Brand Trust Report 2014, a study conducted by Trust Research Advisory, a brand analytics company. In 1896, with growing popularity of Dabur products, Dr. Burmam expands his operations by setting up a manufacturing plant for mass production of formulations.
Dabur enters the specialised area of nature-based Ayurvedic medicines, for which standardised drugs are not available in the market. For better operation and management, 3 separate divisions are created according to their product mix – Health Care, Products Division, Family Product Division & Dabur Ayurvedic Specialities Limited.
“What is that life worth which cannot bring comfort to others“
- S.K Burman
Various CSR Activities of Dabur:-
- Dabur India Ltd, India’s most trusted healthcare company, has embarked on a mission to improve the health and hygiene standards in rural India
- Towards this end, the Company has targeted to construct 1,200 rural household toilets in 26 villages of Uttar Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Himachal Pradesh by the end of 2016-17 financial year.
- “This women-centric initiative is part of Dabur’s ‘700 se 7 kadam’ campaign, under which Dabur India seeks to protect the dignity of women in rural India by giving them easy access to toilets.
- Through SUNDESH, Dabur today runs 9 Non-Formal Education centres & Adult Literacy Centres, which provide education to underprivileged kids between 6 -14 years of age and women in the 15–35 age group.
5 Interesting Facts About Brand Dabur:-
- The Name:-
- The name Dabur is derived from the founder’s name (Dr SK Burmam) who was popularly known as Daktor Burmam
- Dabur was formed in 1884 mainly to produce and dispense Ayurvedic medicines. It is India’s largest Ayurvedic medicine producer and among the top 5 FMCG brands in the country.
- 3. Digital Presence:-
- Dabur has limited digital presence. Even though it’s a billion dollar FMCG company, it has less than 4500 likes on its facebook page. Information is mostly available in the form of presentations on websites like slideshare or scribd.
- Other Businesses:-
- Apart from its Ayurvedic products business, Dabur is also in the Gum Manufacturing business, which it runs under the brand name Dabisco.
- Name of former executive director, Pradip Burman was listed in the list of black money account holders on 27 October 2014 when the government revealed the names in court.
- Burman is also the Founder and Chairman of the CSR initiative of Dabur called “SUNDESH” which is working to make life better in the rural sector of India.